I forget how much I love soup during the summer. And then I have some on a cool day and can’t wait to make a different one every week. I just made Carrot and Ginger soup from the cookbook Cooking with the Seasons at Rancho la Puerta on Sunday and love the flavour, colour and creamy consistency from the coconut milk.
Here is my slightly modified version of the soup from Rancho la Puerta.
Carrot and Ginger Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced (I used more)
- 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 4 1/2 cups vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 tsp salt (or more if needed)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
In a large stockpot, heat the oil, saute the carrots and onion and cook til soft. Add the garlic, ginger, squash and apple and saute. Add the stock and salt. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.
Puree the soup until smooth with an immersion blender, add the coconut milk and more salt if needed. Garnish with chives and diced pears. (I skipped this step!) Enjoy!