This eggplant salad was easy and a big hit on Sunday for our family backyard gathering.It’s a Melissa Clark recipe from the NYTimes.
- 1 large eggplant (I used 2)
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley (I forgot to add this)
- black pepper
- capers, for garnish, optional
Heat grill to medium high. Prick the eggplant all over with a fork, put it on the grill and close the cover, cook, turning occasionally, until the eggplant is very soft and skin is blistered, about 15 minutes.
When cool enough, scoop out the insides of the eggplant and coarsely chop. Transfer to a bowl and toss with tomatoes, vinegar, salt and garlic. Stir in oil and parsley, season with pepper and more salt if needed. Garnish with capers. Serve with warm pita bread.