Every week I visit the local farmers’ market and come home with armloads of goodness from the vendors. I wish I could eat more of what they grow.
Last week, I made a list and tried to stick to it. It was all the local veggies I needed for a salad nicoise – a simple summer salad recommended by my blogging sidekick sis.
If you like make ahead entertaining meals, this is a great one to try. Here’s how I constructed my version.
- hard boil 3-4 eggs, peel and slice in quarters
- briefly steam a big mittful of fresh green beans – trim one end
- simmer new potatoes until just done – cut in halves or quarters depending on the size
- prepare the salmon – I marinated fresh atlantic salmon in equal parts maple syrup and soy sauce for about an hour (skin side up) – then with skin side down, and a generous layer of sesame seeds sprinkled on top, I baked them for about 15 minutes at 425F
- then the assembly – bib lettuce on the bottom, piles of potatoes, eggs, beans, and Kalamata olives – toss capers over the whole thing and rest the salmon in the primo spot
- drizzle the entire presentation with dressing – I used this dressing, you could also try HAR’s everyday go-to homemade dressing.
A side of fresh bread, great friends and life is good.